Welcome!

April 2017: Our family vacation to Samoa is next month! This blog is to provide trip info.  

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Friends and Relatives: Si'umu

I can't believe that it's been 25 years since I first met the Taula Family from Si'umu. I'd like to stop by and see the family. I am hazy on the details, but I know that they are Iulia's family, and we are related to Iulia through marriage to Aunt Siva's family somehow. No matter-- they welcomed me in and I stayed with them for two weeks. I wonder who is still there. I dug through my old photos, and found these faded pictures. Here they are all dressed for Sunday church. Such a great looking family!





Lotogia was about 15 at the time.
The parents in their front yard in Si'umu. I don't remember their names so if you know, please tweet me.
Leutu hosted me and showed me how to shower modestly in the open using a lava lava.
Their mother is such a beautiful woman. Here I caught her weaving mats.

Because their fale is open, they keep their valuables in the credenza in the background. 

They had several buildings on their property, including cooking fale, main fale, storage, and a western-style block cinder house. But the elders prefer the fale because it is much cooler and traditional. This fale is super nice, with the concrete retaining wall with the diamond cut ins.



Middle siblings









The youngest girl was so cute and mischevious!

The western-style house has the western-style furniture.













This woman is Iulia, who introduced me to the family. She is sitting here with the eldest son.

This is the only picture with names written on the back. From left, Vena, Lotogia, Natasha, Me and Lapreal. Natasha and Lapreal are Iulia's daughters.

I hope to stop by and briefly visit and find out what has become of everyone!